The Italian National Institute For Touristic Research (IS.NA.R.T.), in cooperation with the Italian-South African Chamber Of Trade And Industries Of Johannesburg, awards 25 reasturants with the prestigious seal "Italian Hospitality, Italian Restaurants In The World".
Twenty-five Italian restaurants in South Africa were awarded with the seal “Ospitalità Italiana, Ristoranti nel Mondo” at a ceremony held on the 21st of November.
The award ceremony took placeduring the FNB Business Excellence Awards 2013. This is an annual event the Italian Chamber of Trade and Industries has been hosting since 1999, to honour those Italian entrepreneurs and enterprises which have shown excellence and established their mark in business in South Africa.
This year, the award ceremony was heldat The Wanderer’s Club and the presentation of the plaques was made by the Ambassador of Italy to South Africa,H. E. Vincenzo Schioppa.
The gala was held in the presence of over 350 guests and was attended,in addition to the Ambassador,also by The Consul General of Italy Gabriele Di Muzio, the director of the office Ice Giulio Mulas, the director of the Johannesburg SACE Riccardo Fanelli and the CEO of FNB Mike Vacy-Lyle.
Among the South African restaurants who have met the selection criteria, 15 were certified during 2013, while the 10 others were awarded in the course of the past editions and recertified this year.
These twenty-five restaurants have been certified by the organizing committee in Rome because they fulfil the established criteria.
The certification process is ongoing and the Italian-South African Chamber of Commerce in Johannesburg will continue selections in 2014. For more information, an address has been created and dedicated to the project to which you can apply: email@example.com
Restaurants may also contact the same address if they would like to organize an evening for networking, meetings, or any other events aiming to publicize the Italian style all over the world: sponsoring and spreading as widely as possible, the concept of "Italian" in the world and fight the Italian sounding copies.
The "Marchio Ospitalità Italiana, Ristoranti nel Mondo" can count on the support of the Italian South African Chamber of Commerce, as well as that of other 49 countries in the world and on the many Italian Chambers of Commerce abroad involved.
The official website to check out the restaurants in the world in possession of Certification is www.10q.it
Specifically, the countries involved are: North America (Canada and USA); South America (Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Costarica, Ecuador, Peru, Dominican Republic and Venezuela); Western Europe (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Portugal, United Kingdom, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Malta); Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa(United Arab Emirates, South Africa, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, Serbia, Hungary, Israel and Morocco); Asia and Oceania (China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Taiwan, Vietnam and Australia).
Starting from 2013-2014, 12 new countries will be involved. In South America: Honduras, Netherlands Antilles, Guatemala and Nicaragua; in Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa: Albania, Poland, Turkey, Tunisia, SaudiArabia and Oman; in Asia and Oceania: Indonesia and New Zealand.
To date, USA (236 certifiedrestaurants), Brazil (114 certified restaurants) and Australia (83 certified restaurants) distinguish as the most competitive countries.
Furthermore, New York (124 certified restaurants), San Paolo (64 certified restaurants) and Los Angeles (62 certified restaurants) distinguish as the most competitive Italian Chambers of Commerce abroad.
Even though numbers are alredy impressive, the project "Italian Hospitality, Italian Restaurants in the World" is expanding so quickly that we are sure many other restaurants will be awarded in the next few years.
History And Objectives Of The Project
The "Italian Hospitality, Italian Restaurants in the World" is an initiative which aims to certificate the best Italian restaurants all over the world. The project has been conceived by Unioncamere, in collaboration with FIPE (Federazione Italiana Pubblici Esercizi) and with the support of IS.NA.R.T. (Istituto Nazionale Ricerche Turistiche). It now involves over 2500 restaurants, 1420 of whom have already obtained the seal.
InItalian culture,foodis not only a means for nutrition but also a vehicle for hospitality and welcome. Our entire lifestyle is deeply connected to the quality of what we cook and eat. These are the reasons why Italian cuisine has to be protected against falsification and its history, quality and authenticity have to be preserved from alteration.
- Develop and promote the traditions of the Italian agricultural and food products and valorise the Italian gastronomic culture;
- Valorise the image of the Italian restaurants abroad and guarantee the respect to standard quality of the Italian hospitality;
- Create new opportunities for international promotion;
- Emphasize the role of food service;
- Protect Made in Italy;
- Fight the Italian Sounding phenomenon.
Below the list of the 25 restaurants that have been certified:
- Alfie's, 11 Hazelwood Road (Pretoria)
- Amarcord, Shop G08, Thrupps Illovo Shopping Center, 204 Oxford Road, Illovo (Johannesburg)
- BottegaParkhurst, 22d, 4th Avenue, Parkhurst (Johannesburg)
- Cafe' Del Sol, Cnr Olive &Cnr President Fouche Roads, Olivedale Corner, Shopping Centre, Shop 17 And 18 (Johannesburg)
- Da Graziella, CnrDunvegan Ave & Boeing Rd,EastDunvegan, Edenvale (Johannesburg)
- ErBuco, Shop 18, Linksfield Terrace,110 Linksfield Rd, Dowerglen Ext 10 (Johannesburg)
- Frenzi, The Terrace At Cedar Square, Cedar Road Entrance, Fourways (Johannesburg)
- La Cucina @ Cremalat, Germiston, Greenhills Industrial Estate,Sam Green Road, Tunney Ext 6 (Johannesburg)
- La Fiorentina, Bridle Pass Cnr Champion Road, Bridle Park (Kyalami)
- Luca's, No.3 Achter Road, CnrWitkoppen Rd, Sunninghill (Johannesburg)
- Pomodoro, Morningside Shopping Centre,Shop U36, CnrRivonia& Outspan Roads, Morningside (Johannesburg)
- Stelle 62, Tyrone Avenue – Parkview (Johannesburg)
- TortellinoD'oro, Oaklands Shopping Center,PretoriaCnr Victoria Road, Oaklandsn (Johannebsurg)
- Vera Vita, 255 Rifle Range Rd, CnrJoachim,Haddon (Johannesburg)
- Villa San Giovanni, Main Terminal Building Wonderboom Airport (Pretoria)
The following 10 restaurants have previously been awarded during the past years selection process, and will be reawarded in recognition in 2013:
- Bice Restaurant, 1st Road, located at Southern Sun, Hyde Park, Sandton (Johannesburg)
- Casa Toscana, Poggio Farm (Trafalgar)
- Fabio's Ristorante, 60 St Peters Lane (Hermanus)
- FumoRestaurant, Shop 21 Groenkloof Plaza, 48 Bronkhorst Street, Groenkloof (Pretoria)
- La Locanda, 124 York Street (George)
- La Scala – Mastrantonio, Shop N.59, Montecasino, Fourways (Johannesburg)
- Il Cappero, 4 The Fairway, Camps Bay (Cape Town)
- Il Leone– Mastrantonio, 22 Cobern Street Cnr of Prestwich Street, Green Point(Cape Town)
- Illovo – Mastrantonio, Shop 6C, Illovo square, 3 Rivonia Road, Illovo(Johannesburg)
- Il Tartufo, Summit Cnr Jan Smuts Avenue, Hutton Court, Hyde Park (Johannesburg)