South Africa is ablaze with preparations for the FIFA World Cup in 2010. Southern Sun Hotels all across the country are getting ready to welcome and host teams, officials, media, sponsors, and supporters with excellent World Cup accommodation in 2010.
For many years, the Southern Sun Hotel group has recognised the importance of sport as a segment. Actively involved in South African sport, Southern Sun is now recognised as the leading sporting hotel group in South Africa and is proud to act as the home away from home for our Soccer, Cricket and Rugby teams, officials, sponsors, media and supporter groups. View the Road to 2010 media clip from 1 April 2009.
Our knowledge and experience ensures that we are in a position to satisfy the needs of sporting professionals - be it special menus, extra length beds or even our chefs travelling with teams to different countries.
Major Sporting Events Serviced in SA Since 1994
Over the years, Southern Sun has been involved in most major sporting events which have taken place in SA:
- 1995 Rugby World Cup
- 1996 African Cup Of Nations
- 1997 World Fencing Championships
- 1998 8th IAAF World Cup Athletics
- 1999 7th All Africa Games
- 2003 ICC Cricket World Cup
- 2007 ICC Twenty Twenty Cricket Championships
- IRB Under 19 Rugby Festivals
Southern Sun is the Official Hotel Group to:
- Cricket South Africa
- Athletics South Africa
- SA Rugby Union
- SA Bowls
- SANZAR (South Africa, New Zealand and Australian Rugby) for the Super 14 and Tri Nations Rugby Series
- Premier Soccer League
- South African Football Association
Southern Sun and the FIFA World Cup 2010
- In their support of the beautiful game and the South African Football Associatoin, Southern Sun supported the Local Bid Company in their initial 2006 bid and again when they decided to bid for the FIFA 2010 World Cup Soccer Tournament, bysponsoring R1 Million worth of complimentary accommodation, which was used to house local and international teams, visiting FIFA delegations and officials.
To ensure a successful bid, it was necessary for the Bid Company to contract a certain amount of accommodation. Southern Sun recognised this need and contracted/committed 6000 rooms to the event, even prior to SA being awarded the FIFA World Cup 2010 Tournament.
Since then, a further 1500 rooms have been contracted and Southern Sun is the largest single contributor to the contracted 2010 World Cup accommodation booked for the tournament.
Southern Sun is excited about hosting this fantastic event and is ready to welcome and look after the teams, officials, media and supporters to our hotels. The hotel group also plans to conduct an intense staff training programme, which will give all Southern Sun staff general information on the tournament - past winners, rules of the game, cultural information on the teams attending, special greetings for visitors and so forth.
The final draw takes place in early December 2009 and once the hotels know who will be staying where, we will be in a position to refine our training to be hotel/segment specific.
FIFA have appointed MATCH Event Services Pty as the company which will control the accommodation, ticketing and transportation for the prestigious tournament. They will be responsible for the allocation of World Cup 2010 accommodation to teams, FIFA officials, dignitaries, hospitality right holders, media, sponsors and supporter groups.
Southern Sun fully support FIFA and MATCH in their logistical efforts to plan and ensure the best Soccer World Cup ever, thus ensuring that SA and the hospitality industry leave a sustainable legacy for future generations.
2010 Soccer World Cup Accommodation Enquiries
For any 2010 World Cup accommodation enquiries please contact:
- or www.fifa.com